Abusive priest is defrocked
Victims of a paedophile priest from Dunedin are breathing a sigh of relief as 50 years of torment finally comes to an end. Bishop of Hamilton Steve Lowe yesterday confirmed…
The sexual harm helpline can be accessed free, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by phone, text, website, online chat and email.
Victims of a paedophile priest from Dunedin are breathing a sigh of relief as 50 years of torment finally comes to an end. Bishop of Hamilton Steve Lowe yesterday confirmed…
Four Otago men who survived sexual abuse or physical violence while in care have been included in a new Survivor Advisory Group to help guide a pending Royal Commission. The…
The Government will spend $320 million on a package of initiatives aimed preventing family and sexual violence and breaking the cycle of violence. The pre-Budget announcement is, according to Prime…
Family Violence and Sexual Violence Service Provider Update – Special Budget Edition Kia ora koutou, Welcome to this special Budget edition of our newsletter. In this update you’ll find information…
A dying Dunedin man tells Chris Morris his story of a savage beating he received as a 10-year-old ‘‘cheeky little Catholic boy’’ at the hands of a nun. Russell Butler…
Pope Francis issued a landmark decree on Thursday making bishops directly accountable for sexual abuse or covering it up, requiring clerics to report any cases to Church superiors and allowing…
Minister for State Services Chris Hipkins said he would lead the Crown’s response to the inquiry. Setting out the principles was an important step in rebuilding trust between the government…
The Harvey Weinstein saga exposed an ugly side of our culture. TVNZ’s Sunday hears from some male victims. Watch the video on the TVNZ website. By Sunday (1 News now)…
Government underfunding leaves organisations supporting victims of sexual violence to fundraise millions to stay afloat, a new report has found. On Tuesday, Action Station released its report, For the Wellbeing…
The Catholic Church in Japan is preparing to investigate allegations of sexual abuse against minors by its priests, including accusations from 20 years ago, officials said Thursday. The Catholic Bishops’…
An expert hired by the Boy Scouts of America to review allegations of child sexual abuse within the organization identified 7,819 alleged abusers among its leaders and volunteers dating back…
Last month, the remarkable documentary Abused by My Girlfriend showed BBC viewers the depths of suffering that can be experienced by male victims of intimate violence. Alex Skeel was beaten,…
Graphic warning: This content may be distressing for some readers. Terry King, 65, was gang-raped in the Burnham Military Camp showers in 1975. He has told his harrowing story for…
This story discusses graphic details of a violent nature. Two sexual abuse survivors from Burnham Military Camp near Christchurch have spoken publicly about the horrors they endured. Published in Radio…
You can download the Royal Commission’s April 2019 newsletter below. Download newsletter (PDF)
Peers are people with lived experience of mental illness. Peer support is an established intervention in which peers offer support to others with mental illness. A large proportion of people…
The Male Survivors Partnership (MSP), a national umbrella agency for organisations working with boys and men affected by unwanted sexual attention, has held its inaugural symposium in Manchester. Published in…
New laws proposed to tackle social media companies streaming child abuse, extremism, terrorist attacks and cyberbullying have been welcomed by senior police and children’s charities. Launched on Monday, the Online…
A survivor abused as an altar boy by a Catholic priest in Dunedin is adding his voice to fresh calls for the chairman of the royal commission into historic abuse…
The government’s historical abuse inquiry is being accused of shutting down questions about the Commissioners’ potential conflicts of interest over their religious affiliations. Christopher Longhurst who was abused at a…
Sir Anand Satyanand offered to withdraw as head of the country’s largest ever state inquiry amid worries about a perceived conflict of interest because of his Catholic faith. Documents obtained…
The Vatican issued tougher, comprehensive laws Friday governing the sexual abuse of minors within the Vatican City State, Vatican offices and its diplomatic embassies abroad. Pope Francis personally signed off…
Few male survivors of sexual abuse are seeking help in the wake of Leaving Neverland, Better Blokes says. Philipe Eyton is the North Shore facilitator for the Auckland-based organisation, which…
Cardinal George Pell, a member of the Pope’s Council of nine advisers, was convicted of child abuse in Australia and sentenced to six years in prison in March 2019. CNN’s…